Do you have what it takes to Change Someone’s Life?
What is a Mentor?
A mentor is a valuable friend, trusted advisor, a knowledgeable educator, a role model, and a friend who will listen; so many things to a young person that will give them a foundation to change their future!
Today, so many of our youth are struggling with complex issues that put them a risk. These issues can result in teen pregnancy, drug and alcohol use, youth violence and education failure.
Would you like to be a role model?―You decide!
- Do you have the desire to help mentor a young person?
- Do you a hobby you would like to share with a young person?
- Do you want to make a big impact in young person’s life?
- Did someone mentor you?
- Thank them by passing it on by mentoring a child!
- Do you have what it takes to change someone’s life for the better?
For just a few hours per month, you could be a life changing force in a child’s life.
A mentor can make the difference to help them discover their self-worth, their talents,
and achieve their dreams.
There is no finer gift than the gift of time.
Learn More About How Mentoring Works…
Mentoring Works is dedicated to helping youth by providing children, ages 7 to 17, a one-to-one relationship with a well screened and trained volunteer. We support 35 mentor/protégé matches in a typical year. We currently have 20 youth on a waiting list hoping for a mentor.
Mentoring has proven to be the most effective and least expensive intervention for vulnerable youth. Research shows that youth involved in mentoring activities were significantly more likely to develop attitudes and habits that help ensure success. Compared to youth without mentors, the children with mentors:
- 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
- 27% less likely to begin using alcohol
- 52% less likely to skip school
- 37% less likely to skip a class
- 33% less likely to hit someone
They also found that the children were more confident of their performance in schoolwork and getting along better with their families.
Kids spell trust T-I-M-E.
~Josh Shipp – The Teen Whisperer
Mentoring has consistently proven to be the most cost effective intervention for working with at–risk youth.
Who is Eligible for this Service?
Mentoring Works accepts protégés as young as seven years old and as mature as seventeen.
What Services are offered to Mentors?
Benefits of Mentoring
Both mentors, and the youth they help, derive multiple benefits from mentoring. Mentors gain the feeling that they have helped someone, and that they can make a difference. Mentored youth gain the support of and guidance of a trusted friend to help them succeed despite the obstacles in life and achieve their goals.
Requirements for Mentors
- Must be 18 years old or older;
- Willing to give 2–4 hours a week for at least a year;
- Clear a background check including fingerprint check with the Department of Justice and the FBI;
- Submit a copy of your driving record and a copy of your California Driver License (sorry, out-of-staters!);
- Auto insurance;
- Clear a Megan’s Law check; and
- (3) personal references.
Come in to ATCAA and complete an application form and attend a–day long Mentor Training class.
Interested in Volunteering, Participating in a Fundraising Event or Making a Donation?
Mentors are needed―if you know of any good mentor–type adults out there, give them this website for more more information on how they can help a young person’s
- You can get involved Learn more
- Help us to help others Learn more
- Tax deductible donations accepted Learn more
- How to Get Involved Learn more
Volunteer your time to our growing, local program.
Remember―the future is not a gift…it’s an achievement!
427 N. Hwy 49, Suite 305, Sonora, CA 95370